Win XP Scheduler Issue

Discuss RoboTask here
waldo

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by waldo »

I use the Win XP standard screen saver and it activates after 5 minutes of non-use which requires a password to access the desktop (you must also press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the password window). I am using RoboTask to open a program, and then send numerous key strokes via RoboTask to run the program. RoboTask runs flawlessly via the scheduler so long as the windows desktop as active; but when the screen saver is active, all of the keystrokes sent by RoboTask are ignored. Even if I configure RoboTask to send keys to the stop the screen saver (ENTER) and then send the password to the computer Locked dialog box, these keys are also ignored.

It seems there is no way to deactivate the screen saver and return to the desktop via RoboTask. Is there some other program that can run off a scheduler to deactivate the screen saver and enter a password to "unlock" the PC or can RoboTask do this? Again, once the desktop is active RoboTask flawlessly sends all the key strokes to run my process. I would rather not leave my PC without a Windows XP screen saver and password feature during off business hours for security reasons.

The best of all alternatives would de-activate the screen saver via an automatic password entry and immediately re-active the screen saver when my tasks are completed via RoboTask--which I have seen that RoboTask can secure the PC.  I am hoping that I have just over looked something and that RoboTask can actually de-activate the WinXP screen saver. THANKS.
Oleg
Site Admin

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by Oleg »

If screen saver is protected with password "Windows" locks your session every time when screen saver is launched. At locked session the system ignore all keyboard and mouse events. Therefore you can't use "send keystroke" action at locked session, because windows ignore keystroke emulation.
Generally speaking there is no way to unlock the session from within the locked session. You can do it from outside only. It's a "windows" property.
engineering

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by engineering »

Now I'm crying... After reading several posts this is the exact topic I need to be handled by RoboTask - looks like a no-can-do.
Is there any way to send a CTRL+ALT+DEL? Then everything else can be scripted in RT.
lonnie16

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by lonnie16 »

Hmmm, "can only un-lock from outside".  Are you asking if there are other tools that will send a "ctrl+alt+del" ? Sure, I use one. It's Radmin ( remote admin ), but your looking for a scripted solution ?
engineering

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by engineering »

lonnie16 wrote:Hmmm, "can only un-lock from outside".  Are you asking if there are other tools that will send a "ctrl+alt+del" ? Sure, I use one. It's Radmin ( remote admin ), but your looking for a scripted solution ?

Umm.. yeah. This is the RoboTask forum so we are talking about something that can be incorporated with RoboTask scripts. My NetOp remote admin software does this too, but has no bearing on this issue.
lonnie16

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by lonnie16 »

"no bearing" . . .
Hmmm, I envisioned the first machine ( controller ) radmin'd into the second machine ( controllee ) and the first machine running robotask and generating keystrokes...  Naa, too much of a "Rube Goldberg", and a waste of resources.  Clearly Oleg gave the right answer back in 2004.  He is the guru.
engineering

Win XP Scheduler Issue

Post by engineering »

Love the Rube Goldberg reference - I didn't think of that, but your self insight is refreshing.