Efficiency question

Discuss RoboTask here
David W.

Efficiency question

Post by David W. »

Hello,

Which is more efficient? Setting a task to LOOK for a file triggering on a schedule every once in a while OR using the File Monitor trigger to start a task when a file arrives.

Thanks.

DW
lonnie16

Efficiency question

Post by lonnie16 »

Both have a repeat time setting.
But file monitor trigger "should be" more efficient, because file change notification is built into windoze 2000 api.
Oleg
Site Admin

Efficiency question

Post by Oleg »

File monitor can save the list of arrived files in folder (also of deleted or changed files). Within the task you can process these files with using Text loop.
David W.

Efficiency question

Post by David W. »

Hmm.

I am using File Monitor trigger to trigger a task.  It is set to 120 seconds monitor interval.  I am running RT on Win2000.

A network user runs a process to create a file in the monitored directory when they want to trigger this .  It is the same name and overwrites each time.

My observation is that RT did not trigger the task after the file was created but DID run the task when I began clicking around the task, looking at the log, check the trigger interval, etc.

It seems that I had to 'wake up' RT in some way to get this task to fire when using the File Monitor trigger.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

DW
lonnie16

Efficiency question

Post by lonnie16 »

Is this because of the file structure ?  2000 has a Change Journal.
In simple terms, the Change Journal is a database that contains a list of every change made to the files or directories on an NTFS 5.0 volume. When any file or directory is written to, NTFS guarantees that a record will be added to the Change Journal. Each volume has its own Change Journal database that contains records reflecting the changes occurring to that volume's files and directories. If you have more than one NTFS volume, each one will have its own journal. Of course, FAT volumes do not maintain a Change Journal.
David W.

Efficiency question

Post by David W. »

Interesting..

To further clarify... a user running WinXP creates a file on an Novell volume/directory that RT is set to monitor from the Win2000 machine.

So are you saying this doesn't work correctly except on NTFS volumes and I should try another way?

Thanks.
Oleg
Site Admin

Efficiency question

Post by Oleg »

You very complicate the problem.
"File Monitor" doesn't depend of file system. It work on any file system and network drives.
But file monitor not verifies changes of the file content. It determine changes by external criterions only: file existence, file size, file attributes, file time. Maybe your problem is here.